Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First attempt of making "Bread Pudding"



 So we went to a graduation party last Saturday and tasted the best bread pudding desert ever! They were made by a friend of mine who is a professional chef. So I asked her for a quick recipe. And I wrote them down.

Ok, before I share with you my experience with this recipe I must tell you that she didn't give me specific measures of the ingredients. And knowing me I didn't really mind, because I'm the type to
experiment on cooking. It's so much more exciting, I think! But honestly, with this experiment I actually forgot one important ingredient, butter!

I craved for that desert over the weekend, and I wanted to make it myself. So on Monday, with my excitement I made sure I have the list of ingredients mentioned below:
  • Old bread (advicable French Bread), but in my excitement I wanted to try it with "Kings Hawaiian Bread rolls" 
  • Home made custard: this is where I forgot the butter. So to make it you need:
              -Butter

              -Heavy Cream
              -Egg yolk only
              -Vanilla extract (or fresh vanilla bean)



And, this is the way I put it all together:
  •  slice the bread rolls, put them into a baking  pan to toast. While it's toasting, make the custard by boiling the heavy cream then mix in the egg yolk, vanilla extract, and supposedly the butter.
  • Take out the toasted bread rolls.
  • Once the custard is ready (mind you, this was my first time making it, so I didn't really have an idea how the texture was suppose to come out to be. But I was told it should be thick.) Sprinkle around the first layer of toasted breads, then add chocolate chips. Then put another layer of toasted breads  and do the same thing until your done.
  • Put in the oven for maybe another 20 minutes at 350 degrees. And at this point of my experiment I eventually remembered about the butter. So I melted some butter and poured it on all over the bread anyway, and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
  • For the last touch, creamy sauce on top of the bread pudding. This made it tastier and look good, melted vanilla icecream. (I think fresh scoop of vanilla ice cream is ok too!)
This is my actual record of how I experimented with my first attempt to make bread pudding. I'm not telling you to follow it, but I just wanted to share with you how successful it was in spite of my mistakes. The next morning my boys munched on that thing like it was cinnamon rolls from Costco!
I guess they'll never know as long as it taste good!

No comments: