Friday, January 28, 2011

How to Feature: Homeschool records

I have three boys, 8, 5, and 2. I started "homeschooling" when my eldest was 3 years old.  Since then, I've experienced that it's not easy to keep up with recordings of things we've done in a school year. Especially the more children you homeschool. So maybe you can relate with me. If you are, then you might like this one. It's  simple and easy.

I don't know about your daily routines, but with our daily doings we consider everything we do as part of homeschooling. Sometimes it's quite hard to write them down. Here is what I've done with my records so far:

1. So when in a day my children accomplishes something I take pictures of it. You can do many things with it! Blog about it, or add it to your scrapbook. Taking pictures of it is the best way I found for us to look back and see growth and development. (I use Nikon D50 SLR)

2. Scrapbook. Well, I have to say first and foremost, that I'm not a "scrapbook-er". But I use the scrapbook to keep drawings, paints, and pictures of what they have done. It gets pretty old after hanging it on the wall for months, but you feel guilty for throwing it away. But this way, the plastic cover in the scrapbook keeps it protected. And the kids love looking through it. I personally love looking through and see the way they use to paint and draw.

I hope this has been helpful and encouraging to homeschoolers like me.


In the first picture I'm sharing, my second son was very proud to have finish an alphabet matching puzzle. I have this tool for awhile now, and I don't use all the time. It's a tool great for 4 years and up. But unless your child shows any interest, that's the best time to use it. Though my son didn't initiate to play this puzzle when it's time to study, I had to start it off for him. Sitting down with him and guiding him what to do, such as giving him an instruction of finding the picture first and sounding out the first sound of the word. And he figures out what letter to look for and connect it to the picture. And because it's uppercase and lower case, he finds both to complete the puzzle. He enjoyed it very much! This particular brand actually has variety of educational topics. We also have The Learning Journey Match It (Numbers).

No comments: