Friday, March 18, 2011

Frugal Birthday Party Series: Handmade Decoration


For a kid's birthday party there is a lot to consider. In my experience of planning a party for all my boys have been very exciting. For each party thrown I feel like I've grown to be better in themes, and how to "frugally" prepare for it. So as I trace back my ideas in the past, I must say this decoration above must be one of my favorite yet.

The setting of the party is not just to eat and play games, but this time I had some very close friends to help me create a setting for a story book reading area. And the picture above was a way to create a place for kids to sit down on the rug. I use to take my first son to the park and read to him before letting him play at the playground. And he loved the idea. I guess I could say that memory was part of this decoration idea. We put pillows and the rug and two couches for parents to sit by while the kids listen to a reader. I really wanted the kids find that children party are not only running around with other kids and eat cake.

Expense for decoration:
1. construction paper/butcher paper/poster board: $1 per at the Dollar Tree store
2. Paint:  $0, I always have kid friendly paint in hand.
3. stapler: $0
4. pipe cleaner: $2 min at Joann's Craft Store.

Instruction:
To make a tree - buy a green poster board, draw a cloud shape using up most of the poster board so that you don't waste any. And/or, make small branches with small green cloud shape connected to it. For the bark of the tree, I had my boys paint butcher paper in color brown. They loved it of course. Then I cut it in to a shape of a tree bark. I used a black marker to draw some lines and make it look like a tree with a whole. But with the picture above it's hard to see.

Flowers and the grass - this is very easy and you don' t realy need a pencil. But if you prefer to draw the shape of grass to know where to cut through please be creative and enjoy. This how I made my grasses, I just cut and made spikes on a poster board shaped it to look like grass. Stapled it on the wall everywhere. And for the flowers, that one I had draw out and then cut. Took the pipecleaner and taped it at the back of the flower. Then inserted it on some of the grasses. I thought it would be a nice touch to make it see like the kids are on a meadow or a hill listening to a story. But I will never know.

I hope you liked this one. I invite you to read my series on: Frugal Birthday Party Series.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hi there! I'm your newest follower from the "You Like Me" Friday Blog Hop! I'd love it if you'd check out The Copper Brick Road and follow back!

Feel free to join my TGIF Friday Blog Hop