Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Outdoor Pillow Project

Part of my love for upcylcing fabrics is the fact that I can practically use anything around the house to make into something adorable.  And every time I share something I've put together I get really excited because I know this would encourage others to recycle or upcycle anything in their home to make something new with it. I am very happy to share that this outdoor pillow cost me nothing! All the materials I used are things I've had sitting around the house. During the summer I've been dreaming to fill up my patio bench with some outdoor pillows I thought of looking for it in thrift stores to save money, because I know it would cost more in the regular stores. Besides it's only going to be used outdoors so I didn't want to spend too much on it. But one day I was tiding up the bedrooms with the kids and saw that some of our bed pillows needed to be replaced. And instead of throwing it away I figured I can sew it into a pillow. So I started searching for a type of fabric I can use to cover it that will be durable for outdoors. And I found an old shower curtain that has been in the linen closest practically unused over the years. So I cut it up in the size of the pillow and started sewing away. And, voila! This the outcome of my outdoor pillow. And just for fun I added my label on.
Materials I used:
 - old shower curtain (thick and durable fabric). To cut it, I had to make adjustments as I completed it. It was my first outdoor pillow)

- old standard size pillow (I pushed all the filling low enough to make a square shape. resulted to 18x18 inches.)

The trickiest part was closing up the whole pillow. But thanks to my faithful sewing machine it was able to hold together. Enjoy!

No comments: