Friday, August 2, 2013

Baked Kale and Beet chips

It takes some getting used to reading the ingredients on the back of every product before purchasing. Even when I buy my ingredients to make it from home I still have to make sure it doesn't contain any allergens. What I find easy to make, and be for sure it doesn't contain soy, soy lecithin, tree nuts etc is making veggie chips. So far the boys are loving it. My list of home made snacks is adding up. And so far I haven't had to buy from the store.

So thanks to my friend, Maureen, who lately shared with me their harvested kale and beets from a farm close by. I was able to experiment for the first time with making kale chips and beet chips. She also was the first one to show me how easy it is. But it's also all over the internet.
Here's my version:

Ingredients-
A bunch of Kale, deveined
Beets
Salt or garlic salt
Olive oil

Direction:
Preheat oven at 300.
Prepare the vegetables. Make sure to toss out the branch. This part is too tough to eat. For the beets, I peeled it and sliced thinly. In a bowl I drizzle with olive oil and garlic salt. Be careful of too much salt, because it can get really salty. Spread all around the baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Check every now and then, so it doesn't burn.

ENJOY!

No comments: